Massage and reflexology can have a more powerful effect on your mind and body than you may realise. It stimulates your parasympathetic system. calming and soothing your nervous system, whilst relaxing your muscles and stimulating your blood flow, lymphatic system, digestive and urinary system.
After a treatment you might notice one or more of the following symptoms:
- sore muscles
- frequent visits to the toilet
- change in body temperature – you may want to wrap up after your treatment
- changes in symptoms of pain – your body will be in repair and may take time to adjust
These reactions are nothing to worry about and should clear within a few hours of your treatment.
To maximise the benefits of your treatment and help to counteract any side effects, please take note of the following after care:
- drink plenty of water, juice or herbal teas following your massage to keep well hydrated. Massage can be dehydrating and this may also reduce your chances of getting a headache afterwards
- take care if driving home afterwards as you may find your reactions are a little slower
- have a light meal or snack
- rest or have a nap if possible to reap the maximum benefits of your massage
- have a heavy meal 4-6 hours after a treatment
- drink alcohol or caffeine for at least 4-6 hours afterwards as these will dehydrate you further
- smoke for at least 4-6 hours after treatment (or at least cut down on your nicotine intake)
- do anything too strenuous afterwards such as an exercise class, sports or vigorous or labour-intensive work
- fight your body. You may feel more hungry, thirsty, tired or lethargic, so just RELAX and go with the flow!